First Aid Kits For Your Pet
Being prepared for everyday accidents can mean reducing the extent of treatment required or even saving your pet’s life.
A basic first aid kit should be made up of:
- Your vet’s telephone number, including emergency and after hours numbers
- First Aid manual
- Rectal thermometer and lubricant
- Sterile gauze (cover wounds and prevent further infection)
- Bandages (soft conforming bandages are best)
- Adhesive tape
- Cotton wool
- Sterile saline (to flush debris out of wounds)
Other items that may be useful in your first aid kit include splint material (such as a piece of wood), a leather lead (to make a noose to approach a frightened or aggressive animal), strong material if a tourniquet is needed and a blanket to keep the animal warm or use as a stretcher.
- Last updated